Some season favorites, things you should know, gift ideas, items on sale in my store (at the bottom!), and good news:
• I just color-proofed my upcoming book The Help Yourself Cookbook for Kids, out in April 2016 (I'll remind you then!). This is the one you'll be able to give to all the children you know without causing a fight with their parents or schools. You asked, I created!
• TODAY: Racing Extinction (from the director of The Cove) assembles a team of artists and activists intent on showing the world never-before-seen images that expose issues of endangered species and mass extinction. Premieres Wed. December 2nd at 9p EST on Discovery—to more than 220 countries!
• My little vegan athlete just became the Kid's Worlds Champion (look!) in no gi Jiu Jitsu in her division..against an opponent 15 pounds heavier! #veganpower
• Nom Yourself and I ate the most insane fresh jammy vegan pop tarts at this new spot. Thanks, Moby!
• Beverly Hills writes an AWESOME law for animals.
• This handsome world champ scales walls, dangles off buildings, and wants everyone to go vegan.
• J-Wro's Out of the Darkness course for healing the blues.
• It took 256 years for this company to make a vegan product, but see? Things can change! #veganpressure
• Amazing insight in this book on the government and environmentalists/animal activists.
• Decorate for the life you want (and see my kitchen featured!) in here.
• If you loved Blackfish, you'll love this even more.
• This goes in all of my smoothies. No winter colds!
• Brrr, even L.A. is cooling off! 10 vegan leather jackets.
• I love gifts like these that get used up and make the recipient feel the best ever.
• Very cute vegan message T-shirts from here.
• Do you need vegan holiday party shoes? Places that make the search easy: Zappos (filter your search for material!), GoJane (women's, all synthetics), Polyvore (search "vegan"!), Aldo and Call It Spring (both have lots of non-leather styles available), Bambi & Tramp, LC Lovechild, and Moo Shoes (100% vegan). That should do you good for a start!
• Check my store for deals on signed and doodled books, prints, and my custom pet portraits (which benefit Animal Rescue Corps through December!):
I FINALLY just watched the new documentary Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret over the weekend...twice in two days, that's how much I loved it.
I did the artwork for the Cowspiracy T-shirts during the crowd-funding campaign and knew the doc would be a good addition to the vegan genre, but the final cut exceeded my expectations. It's truly a great accomplishment and I want to make sure you see it, even if you're a vegan veteran and not a newbie (I've studied the motives for over a decade and the film still managed to shock me with some numbers, history, and footage I've never seen).
So you know:
• Cowspiracy is NOT a violent film about animal cruelty, per se.
• It IS an exposé on the environmental movement's failure to discuss animal agriculture (FINALLY!!!).
• It's a fantastic film to watch with meat-eating friends because it's not outrightly vegan until you're already hooked by Kip Anderson's journey (he's the filmmaker) and the interviews he conducts.
• You will learn from vegan experts and leaders you should know.
• Once the vegan conclusions is reached, Kip does a great job covering frequently stated excuses.
• AMAZINGLY, the film has been made available on Netflix—SO accessible! Or via DVDs and digital downloads, too, for just a few dollars.
I promote veganism every day, but the film actually reignited me to do more, especially to influence more influencers, so I'm brainstorming ideas there. And it made me extremely proud of vegans, who I strongly feel are the only people doing any effective activism these days. I really mean that. It's not self-righteousness; it's that given such staggering statistics of destruction caused by every kind of animal agriculture, there will be nothing left to fight for if not planetary health first. At this point, our vegan work is a matter of life and death in more ways than one.
Promise me you'll watch it! This weekend!
*Please give the film a 5 star review, too on Netflix. There's been word that Big Agriculture is having people leave poor reviews.
Thank you for the work you do everyday. I see you!
“Following Dr. Cousens’s guidance, you and your children can reach extraordinary health.”
—Neal Barnard, MD, author of Power Foods for the Brain
"A landmark contribution in the field of pediatric care."
—Anna Maria and Brian Clement, PhD, LN, directors of the Hippocrates Health Institute
“Conscious Parenting is a call to collectively raise our standards of life and reach the potential inherent in ourselves and our kids. The mind-blowing conclusions in this book make it an essential guide and resource for every person who knows a child—we'll be wise to listen.”
—Ruby Roth, leading author and illustrator of veg books for kids
• • •
I just had the tremendous honor of writing the foreword for a new book by one of my most favorite vegan leaders in the world—Dr. Gabriel Cousens, woohoo! His latest release, Conscious Parenting, co-written by Leah Lynn (author of Baby Greens: A Live-Food Approach for Children of All Ages) is now my go-to recommendation for all parents raising (or planning to raise) vegan kids.
This could be the best book ever published on safe and successful vegan parenting. It contains data showing that children up to four years old—born and raised vegan—are in the top one-third of height and weight percentiles, it provides a scientific and spiritual foundation for holistic vegan parenting, covers nutritional requirements, even provides a basis for legal protection for vegan parents (when social services and courts become problems), and offers many ways to teach children about holistic veganism. And if that's not enough, the book includes recipes!
Last word—if you didn't know Dr. Cousens already, you MUST now! Calling him a mere doctor is an understatement—he has so many credentials following his name, it's bananas: M.D., M.D.(H.), N.D.(h.c.), D.D., Diplomate Ayurveda, Diplomate American Board of Holistic Medicine. He is a holistic physician, homeopath, psychiatrist, rabbi, family therapist, Ayurvedic practitioner, Chinese herbalist, world leader on reversing diabetes, ecological leader, founder and director of Tree of Life Center, and bestselling author of several books. Read more about him and his programs here, I absolutely cherish the work he does in the world!
Cheers to the next generation!
Do you have any other favorite vegan parenting books? Share them below!